• Julia Johnson, Assistant Manager

Holiday safety tips for your pets

The holiday season brings out the fun, cute, (sometimes tacky), holiday decorations that fill the house with holiday cheer. The decorations are cute and fun, but could some of them be dangerous -- for your pets, that is? Yes, there are some holiday decorations that could harm your pet if you aren’t careful. In preparation for the holidays, we wanted to inform you of ways to keep your pet safe during this time of the year. Here are some tips to keep in mind during all the hustle and bustle of this holiday season. • Be sure to secure the Christmas tree so there is no chance of it falling over. With real trees, be sure to clean up the pine needles because they could puncture your pets’ intestines if ingested. It may not seem like a big deal but keep in mind the kind of ornaments you plan on using. Are there edible ornaments or decorations that could be tempting for your pet? Could there be glass ornaments that might potentially injure your pet such as a paw or mouth if broken or could a sharp edge cause intestinal blockage or choking? Ask yourself these questions when planning to decorate. If so, they might need to be removed or placed out of reach. • With all of the cooking and baking going on, leftovers are sure to be present but make sure to keep them away from your pets. Dogs and cats should not eat human food and this includes chocolate. Chocolate can be toxic to dogs because it contains caffeine and Theobromine. Instead, offer them a delicious dog bone or something to keep them busy. • We all love the beautiful holiday plants for our homes, but if your pet gets into them, then it may not be so pretty. Poinsettias, mistletoe and holly can be toxic to your pet. If ingested, they can cause nausea, vomiting or diarrhea. There could be an unexpected present Christmas morning that was not left by Santa. • Candles may burn more than the wick if not attended to. If you plan on burning candles, set them in a high place where your pet can’t get to them or use candle warmers. • Shiny, eye-catching decorations such as tinsel can be dangerous to pets and can get lodged in intestines and cause blockage. Ribbons and string go along those same lines. So keep those out of reach of pets. It’s already a busy time of the year, so if problems can be prevented, that means less you would have to worry about. Most importantly, we want you to enjoy the holidays by keeping your pets safe and healthy. Holiday cheers! If you have any questions about how to keep your pet safe this holiday season, feel free to call, 859.873.5491, or email at manager@woodford.humane.org.

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All

Permits allowing event venues, private camp approved

Conditional-use permits allowing event venues on Fords Mill Road and a private camp on Lower Clifton Road were both unanimously approved by the Versailles-Midway-Woodford County Board of Adjustment (B

© 2016 by The Woodford Sun. Proudly created by Charismatic Media