Health Department Notes: Quit Now Kentucky
The single most important thing that you can do for your health and the health of others is to quit using tobacco. Quit Now Kentucky is a free telephone or online service that helps Kentuckians quit smoking and using tobacco products. Many people who use tobacco want to quit. By using Quit Now Kentucky, you are one-step closer to becoming tobacco free.
Kentuckians who want to stop using tobacco within the next 30 days, or are concerned about a family member or friend’s tobacco use, can call 1-800-QUIT-NOW (1-800-784-8669) from 8 a.m. to 1 a.m. Monday through Sunday. If contemplating quitting, log on to www.QuitNowKentucky.org for resources to help you get ready to quit. All cessation services are bilingual.
When you call Quit Now Kentucky, you’ll receive free:
• Support and advice from an experienced quit coach
• A personalized quit program with self-help materials
• The latest information about the medications that can help you quit
When you log on to www.QuitNowKentucky.org, you’ll receive for free:
• The opportunity to chat with others who are also quitting
• Thinking About Quitting information
• Tobacco and Your Health information
• Nicotine & Addiction
• Secondhand Smoke
• Success stories
• A smoking calculator
• MyQuitPath if you choose to quit
Does it work? Yes. Participants who use Quit Now Kentucky are more likely to succeed than those who try to quit on their own.
Three good reasons to call it quits:
1. Your family - live a healthier, longer life and watch your family grow.
2. Your health - tobacco use causes cancer, heart disease, chronic bronchitis, emphysema and asthma attacks - to name just a few health risks of tobacco use.
3. The cost - the average smoker spends $500 to $3,000 a year on cigarettes. Tobacco use is costly. Take control of your tobacco dependence and Quit Now Kentucky.