Monday, April 23
• What Are You Reading? Book Group, 12 p.m., Midway branch. (Adults) Broaden your reading horizons. Share your favorite new book and author. Enjoy coffee, a snack, and lively discussions. No assigned books No sign-up necessary.
• Maker Monday: Wondrous Caves, 4 p.m., main library. (Families) Learn about amazing Mammoth Cave, grow stalactites, and learn how animals adapt to life in darkness. Call 873-5191 to sign up.
• Seed Starting, 6:30 p.m., main library. (Adults) Learn simple methods to grow vegetable and flower seedlings for your garden. Growing your own seedlings allows you to save money while you expand your garden’s variety. Each participant will receive a pepper and tomato plant to take home. Presented by Faye Kuosman, Horticulture Extension Agent for Woodford County. Call 873-5191 to sign up.
Tuesday, April 24
• Toddler Tales, 10 a.m., main library. (Ages 2 to 3) Children and caregivers, parents, and/or grandparents enjoy songs, rhymes, stories, and great activities.
• Preschool Story Hour, 11 a.m., Midway branch. (Ages 5 and younger) Children (with a favorite adult) have fun with engaging books, songs, and activities.
• Preschool Stories, 11 a.m., main library. (Ages 4 to 5) Books, games, crafts, and music to enhance pre-literacy skills and to have fun.
• Art Attack, 3 p.m., Midway branch. (Grades K-4) Draw, trim, glue, paint, and create. Join us for a creative art project, a snack, and a story.
• Mother’s Day Card Workshop, 5:30 p.m., main library. (Adults) Join paper-crafter Brandi Mahon as she demonstrates ways to create beautiful Mother’s Day cards. Students will practice techniques on their very own handcrafted cards, creating two cards from two different designs. Class size is limited. Call 873-5191 to sign up.
• Inglés a Nuestro Alcance/ English Within Our Reach, 6:15 to 7:30 p.m., main library. (Adults) See how easy and rewarding learning English can be. Drop in when you can and join other Spanish speakers as we learn English grammar and vocabulary, practice speaking, and more. We will be focusing on beginner to intermediate levels. For adults. Childcare not provided. No sign-up necessary.
• Tuesday Evening Book Club, 6:30 p.m., main library. (Adults) Join us for a discussion of Enchanted April by Elizabeth Van Arnim. Pick up your copy of the book at the library. Call 873-5191 to speak to Emily about getting your copy of the book.
Wednesday, April 25
• Baby Story Time, 10 a.m., main library. (Ages 9 to 23 months) Join us at our new time for songs, rhymes, stories, and activities for babies along with a favorite grown up.
• Anime Club, 4 to 5:30 p.m., main library. (Ages 11 to 18) Do you have a love for Japanese animation and manga? Join us at the library for anime club. We will make crafts, discuss anime and manga, and watch a few episodes of anime. Snacks will be provided. Call 873-5191 to sign up.
Thursday, April 26
• Creative Café: Shrinky Dinks, 4 p.m., main library. (Ages 11 to 18) Join us at the library for this drop-in craft hour, where we’ll make something new every week. No sign-up necessary.
• Busy Builders, 6 to 7 p.m., main library. (Families) Kids and parents play with our new Big Blue Blocks, Legos, manipulatives, straws and connectors, and more. No sign-up required.
• Roots and Wings Poetry Slam: Volume 2, 6 p.m., main library. (Adults) Special guest poet Dorian Hairston hosts this lively evening of creative poetry. Dorian has work published in Black Bone: 25 Years of the Affrilachian Poets, is an MFA student at UK and was also an outfielder on the UK baseball team. Let your voice be heard at our open mic and compete for prizes. Open to all skill levels. Ages 18+. Free. Call 873-5191 to sign-up to read or attend.
• Writers’ Group, 6:30 p.m., main library. (Teens and Adults) Join this fun group of fellow word smiths and kick-start your imagination with creative writing exercises. All levels of experience are welcome. No sign-up necessary.
• Gardening for Beginners, 6:30 p.m., Midway branch. (Adults) There are many great reasons to grow some of your own food. This class will cover the basic concepts of starting a vegetable garden and maintaining it through the summer. It is far easier than you might think. Participants will hear about the Community Garden in Midway as well as receive a vegetable growing guide and a packet of seeds. Call 846-4014 to sign up.
Friday, April 27
• Friday Coffee Club, 9:30 p.m., main library. (Adults) Join us every other week to meet interesting personalities and discuss intriguing topics. Refreshments provided. This week’s speaker is actor, director, and CEO of Antagonist Productions, Ian Scott, who will talk about the importance of local theatre. Call 873-5191 to sign up.
• Fourth Friday Story, 10:30 a.m., Midway branch. (Ages newborn to 5) Storytime is a great opportunity to introduce babies, toddlers, and preschoolers to the library and work on important early literacy skills. Join us the fourth Friday of each month for books, games, music, and crafts. No sign-up necessary.
Sunday, April 29
• Opening Reception for Here to There: The Photography of Mark Carney, 2 to 4 p.m. All welcome. Photographer Mark Carney has traveled extensively with his children (and his camera) over the years, including trips to the American West and Italy. Come see a wide range of photos, from stunning landscapes to abstract macro, and from vistas abroad to our own picturesque Woodford County. Show runs from April 22-May 29. No sign-up necessary.