• John McGary, Woodford Sun News Editor

Storm debris piling up at recycling center


THE QUESTION OF what to do with millions of pounds of storm debris dropped off at the Woodford Solid Waste and Recycling Center could be answered Friday morning at a special meeting of Woodford Fiscal Court. A joint city-county burn on undeveloped land at the county park is one possibility. (Photo by John McGary)

The day after the historic storm that knocked down trees and knocked out power to nearly everyone in the county, the Woodford Solid Waste and Recycling Center opened for business.

It remained open the following day, Sunday, July 22, as people began bringing stumps, limbs, and twigs to the center, where it was weighed without the normal drop-off fees. The no-fee policy, made official at the July 24 Woodford Fiscal Court meeting, continues through at least Saturday, as do the later closing hours of 6 p.m.

On Monday, Sherri McDaniel, the center’s director, gave a quick tour of the area just past the Woodford County Park that she estimated contained two million pounds of debris.

There were two large piles of logs and others with limbs of various sizes, along with massive heaps that had been chipped onsite by city and county workers and brought to the center.

“It’s a lot of brush,” said McDaniel. “And it’s not only just a lot of brush, but it’s packed tight, because we’ve pushed with… a loader and backhoe.” A military bulldozer belonging to the county was also used to move the stuff around, she said.

Asked how much vegetative debris the center normally holds, McDaniel laughed and said, “Oh, not anywhere near this. I mean we have brush, but not like this.”

The question of what to do with millions of pounds of what used to be trees and shrubs could be resolved Friday at 9 a.m. during a special meeting of Woodford Fiscal Court. Judge-Executive John Coyle toured the county park with state officials and said, pending their approval and a sign-off by local fire chiefs, some of the debris could be burned on undeveloped land at the county park.

Magistrates are also expected to approve at least one contract for debris removal at Friday’s meeting.

Despite all the problems caused by the July 20 storm and its aftermath, there could be one good bit of news for residents – at least for those with fireplaces or wood-burning stoves.

“When things settle down, we’ll let people start coming in and loading up firewood. As long as they sign a waiver, they can pick up firewood here,” McDaniel said.

0 views0 comments

Recent Posts

See All