Area hospice provider needs more volunteers during winter season
Bluegrass Care Navigators is recruiting volunteers who have received the flu vaccine this year to support the organization’s patients and families this winter. Volunteers who are vaccinated against the flu help protect the fragile patient population against the flu virus, as well as the patient’s caregivers.
Anyone who has been vaccinated against the flu and is interested in becoming a volunteer should call Shellie Brown at 502-223-1744 or visit bgcarenav.org/more-about-us/volunteer to fill out an application. Training is free, and volunteers can give as little or as much time as they wish. The Frankfort office serves patients in Woodford, Franklin, Anderson and Owen counties.
Bluegrass Care Navigators provides end-of-life care and support through home and in-patient hospice services. In addition, the organization provides private nursing, transitional care, adult day health care, palliative care services and grief support.
“Volunteers are so vital to the work we do,” said Lindsay Kampfer, Executive Director. “Our volunteers are truly an extension of our team and provide meaningful support to the patients we serve, their families and the entire staff. There are many ways to help.”
Opportunities to help patients and the organization include:
• Companionship: offer support to patients by being a friendly visitor to their home, residence or at the in-patient facilities
• Respite care: provide caregivers a break by staying with the patient for a short time
• Transportation: transport patients or caregivers to medical appointments or on errands
• Practical support: help patients and families by doing simple household tasks, providing meals or running errands
• Professional services: share your professional talents with patients and families, which could include hairstylists/barbers, musicians, attorneys, massage therapists and pet therapists
• Care calls: make weekly phone calls to patients to check for supply needs
• 11th hour: be present at the bedside of hospice patients who are in their final hours of life
• Bereavement support: support family members after a loss through support groups, check-in calls and companionship
• Administrative assistance: help with office and clerical duties including mailings, filing, phone and computer work.
To learn more about Bluegrass Care Navigators, call 855.492.0812 or visit www.bgcarenav.org.