Sun enters 153rd year
With this week’s edition, The Woodford Sun enters its 153rd year, having begun publication in January 1869. Clarence Greathouse and Captain Henry McLeod produced the first issue of The Woodford Weekly, as it was then known, and the paper later was published by J. J. Hayes. In about 1875, Daniel M. Bowmar Sr. and others bought The Woodford Weekly, but the paper was sold a short time later to the Rev. Benjamin Deering when Mr. Bowmar moved to Chicago to return to the insurance business. Deering consolidated The Woodford Weekly with The Midway Sun, thereby providing the present name, The Woodford Sun, which then passed into the hands of Samuel Field and Willis Field. Because of ill health, Mr. Bowmar left Chicago and returned to Versailles in 1881, and on Jan. 1, 1882, again took possession of the newspaper. He continued as its publisher and editor until forced to retire because of ill health in 1885. His sons, Aitcheson A. and Daniel M. Bowmar Jr., though barely in their teens, took over active operation of the firm and continued to publish and edit The Woodford Sun until the latter’s death in 1942, at which time the paper was sold to A. B. Chandler. This will mark the 79th year that The Woodford Sun has been published by the Chandler family.